Hello and welcome to the The Wandering Coconut. We are Mike and Catrell Cooney (world travelers, travel agents, bloggers, photographers, videographers, and health enthusiasts). We encourage you to browse our site, read our blogs and try some or all of the recipes. Also, check out our sister website CooneyWorldAdventures.com for information about our travel agency and CooneyWorldAdventure.com to learn about our around the world trek with our three teenage sons.
Mike’s Bio: I love to travel! In fact, there is nothing I enjoy more, especially internationally. I have traveled to nearly 50 countries and about half as many States. The around the world trek Catrell, Morgan, Zach, Harrison and I embarked on in 2008 was enlightening in so many ways. Especially when it came to the eating habits of our fellow global-citizens, and how other countries deal with healthcare. We learned so much that the experience inspired Catrell and me to start a website devoted to sharing what we observed and experienced during our 61,000 mile odyssey.
Catrell’s Bio: My love of travel began when my family hosted a German exchange student while I was in high school. Then after visiting our exchange student in Germany, I become hooked on travel. My interest in fitness and holistic health come about a little later. During our around-the-world trip, we were emerged in many different cultures and witnessed first-hand how other parts of the world handle healthcare. Those experiences guided my decision to become a certified personal trainer, holistic health coach, Zumba instructor, certified master vegan, travel and wellness writer so I can share my passion for healthy living and teach others how to embrace it as well.
What we believe
- Optimum health cannot come from a pill, surgery, or fad diet
- Food should be enjoyed, not feared
- Look at nutritional claims from the true source to see if the information presented is biased. If something sounds too good to be true — it usually is
- No single food is the the cure-all for optimum health
- Eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables daily
- Get back to the basics by eating foods as close to their natural state as possible
- Avoid processed foods and eat mainly a whole food plant-based diet
- Travel and staying healthy can go hand-on-hand
- Affordable quality healthcare can be found outside of the United States
Our goal is to provide you with current, reliable and accurate information that will help make your travel experience healthy, happy and enjoyable.